If you are looking for a yummy treat with great flavors, these are the muffins you must bake. They are my go to after school snack for the kids. I can pack them with healthy nuts and reduce the amount of sugar by adding bananas and removing the white sugars. Its a fun little recipe with no frosting needed!! Yum!
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup), melted
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk flours, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in butter, both sugars, milk, egg and vanilla. Stir until combined well.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined – do not over mix.
- Fold in half the walnuts.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups.
- Sprinkle remainder of walnuts over top of muffins.
- Bake for about 22 – 26 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let muffins rest in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.